Pages

Monday, October 4

Oregon Trail and Nana Lamb

My mother's maternal grandmother, Ann Eliza, was born in 1864. While still a young girl, she and her siblings left Pennsylvania with their mother. Over the folllowing months they walked the Oregon trail to Portland.

The family later settled in Nanaimo.
Ann Eliza grew up and married Robert Lamb.
They had one daughter, my grandmother, and a few years later they moved to Fernie, BC. 

Nana Lamb, widowed in 1902, raised my grandmother and later played a big role in the lives of her grandchildren. Here she is with her daughter and 5 of her grandchildren (my mother is the baby)
In later years Nana moved to Victoria to be with my grandparents. Here she is at 82 years, watching her great-granddaughter play in the yard on Fern Street.  I am that lucky child.

Nana lived another 6 years and passed away in 1952 at age 88.

Nana Lamb has been on my mind a lot these last few days as we have driven along parts of the route that they would have taken.  As we passed through Nebraska and Wyoming, Sandy and I have marvelled at the fortitude of these pioneers to make such a long and arduous journey.

(PS We will not complain about our long drive)

No comments:

Post a Comment